Selasa, 10 Januari 2017

Making and responding to suggestions.

The following English phrases and expressions are all used to make suggestions and give advice to people.

Making suggestions:
·         Let’s revise our lessons.
·         What about going to the cinema tonight?
·         How about playing cards?
·         Why don't we do our homework?
·         Couldn't we invite your grandmother to our party?
·         Shall we have a walk along the river?
·         What would you say to a cup of coffee?
·         Don't you think it is a good idea to watch TV?
·         Does it matter if we use your car?

Accepting suggestions:
·         Ok. Yes, let's.
·         Yes, I'd like to.
·         Yes, I'd love to.
·         What a good idea!
·         Why not?
·         Yes, with pleasure.
·         Yes, I feel like taking a walk.
·         That sounds like a good idea.  
Example :
1. Let’s watch football at the stadium
Accepting : yes, Let’s go
Declining : No, thank you I have other schedule, I must clean the house now
2. Why you don’t have breakfast before go to school ?
Accepting : that is a good idea
Declining : I think I will be late, so I will have a breakfast at school
3. How about go to the movie ?
Accepting : O. K it is sound great
Declining : No, I do not have money to buy the ticket
4. I think you should do your homework now

Accepting : yes, you are right
Declining; take it easy my friend, I still have so much time

Refusing suggestions:
·         No, let's not.
·         No, I'd rather not.
·         I don't feel like it.
·         I dislike going for a walk.
·         What an awful / bad idea!

Example Making suggestions:
Example 1:

(A)  I think you should buy the blue one.
(B)  That’s a good idea.

(A) I don’t think you should sell your car.
(B) Thanks for the advice, but I really need the money.


(A) Let’s go bowling tonight.
(B) Sorry, I can’t. I’m meeting a friend for dinner.

(A) Why don’t we go skiing on Saturday?
(B) Sounds like a good idea. Where do you want to go?

(A) Why don’t you come with me to China?
(B) Thanks, but I’ve already been there. –

Example 2 :


Fina : Morning Ayu, My best friend, you look bad today, what happened to you?
AYu : oh, it is only a little problems.
FIna : please, tell me, maybe I can give the solutions
AYu : Ok. I feel sad because I do not have money to pay for the college tuitions, I have used my money to buy a new motorcycle
FIna : Oh. You Should tell your parents if you have no money. I think they will help you.
Ayu : I do not think so, it only will make something worse.
Fina : You can lend money from someone.
Ayu : That’s good idea.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar